Disney XD ordered "Mighty Med," a live-action comedy series inspired by the extraordinary world of superheroes and comic books -- starring Bradley Steven Perry (Disney Channel's "Good Luck Charlie") as Kaz and Jake Short (Disney Channel's "A.N.T. Farm") as Oliver. The multi-camera series began production in Los Angeles, California in July. The show premiered on Disney XD on October 7th, 2013. The announcement was made by Adam Bonnett, Senior Vice President, Original Programming, Disney Channel.
In making the announcement, Bonnett said, "Bradley Steven Perry and Jake Short are two incredibly popular Disney stars whose comedic timing and relatable on-screen friendship make them the perfect pair for 'Mighty Med.' Our Disney XD audience will go on a journey with these characters, two comic book fanboys whose love and knowledge of sci-fi, fantasy and super heroes land them the coolest after school job ever -- working at Mighty Med, a hospital for superheroes."
The series follows best friends Kaz and Oliver who, while hanging out at their favorite comic book store, inadvertently discover a secret wing of a hospital that caters to superheroes and comic book characters. Along the way, they meet Skylar Storm, an alien superhero whose powers were stolen by an evil mutant known as The Annihilator, and befriend other superheroes along the way. The show gets darker when The Annihilator resurfaces at the end of Season 1, and turns Skylar Storm into his evil henchmen and attempts to create an evil army of mind-controlled superheroes.
Near the end of Season 2, a new villain known as Mr. Terror arises, none other than Oliver's mom, Bridget. Mr. Terror attempted to obtain an artifact known as the Arcturion, to become the most powerful being in the universe. In an attempt to grab the Arcturion, its energy surged through Kaz and Oliver, which gave them superpowers.
- Bradley Steven Perry as Kaz
- Jake Short as Oliver
- Paris Berelc as Skylar Storm
- Devan Leos as Alan Diaz
- Augie Issac as Gus (Season 2)
- Carlos Lacamara as Horace Diaz
- Jeremy Howard as Phillip
- Jilon VanOver as Tecton
- Carly Hollas as Solar Flare II
- Randy & Jason Sklar as Wallace and Clyde
- Cozi Zuehlsdorff as Jordan
- Brooke Sorenson as Stefanie
- Mike Beaver as Optimo
- James Ryen as Megahertz
- Morgan Benoit and David Sobolov as The Annihilator
- Jamie Denbo as Bridget/Mr. Terror
- Similar to Nickelodeon's The Fairly Odd Parents, each episode has its own set of running gags. A running gag throughout the series is the fact that neither Kaz or Oliver's last names have been revealed in the show, even when most appropriate.
- Mighty Med has a lot of Marvel and DC references on the show, due to the superhero theme.